Thursday, September 19, 2013

Rest in the LORD


I have been told a lot lately to just rest, spend some time just for you, and forget about trying to be a servant, forget about your school work, take some time and just do something that you enjoy, get away from everything/everyone else, and just spend some time for yourself. This is something that is really hard for me to do, because I am just going, going, going all the time, but if you look in the Bible, you will find that God rested, Jesus rested.

Genesis 2
2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

Matthew 11
28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Luke 5
15 Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses. 16 But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.

Exodus 34
21 "Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.

Ezra 8
31 On the twelfth day of the first month we set out from the Ahava Canal to go to Jerusalem. The hand of our God was on us, and he protected us from enemies and bandits along the way. 32 So we arrived in Jerusalem, where we rested three days.


These are just a few of the times that resting is emphasized in the Bible. If God, the maker of all things good, finds it necessary to rest, how much more should we? Jesus was the perfect being on earth, yet he still rested, how much more should we?

I want to challenge you all this week to take some time to just do nothing, just rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment