Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Greatest Event in History

"What was the ultimate goal of Jesus' -the son of God- crucifixion?"
This questioned was asked in my church service today, and received many common, yet true, answers; for our sin, so that we can have eternal life, etc. You get the idea. But none of these were the ultimate goal, the ultimate goal, was so we can have a relationship with God.


Matthew 27:50-51
50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.

Mark 15:37-38 
37 With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last.
38 The curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.

Luke 23:45b-46
And the curtain of the temple was torn in two.46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” When he had said this, he breathed his last.


The curtain of the temple was what separated the presence of God from the people, it was many inches thick, separating the people of this world from God. When the curtain was torn, the spirit of God was released to the people. That we can have a relationship with Him, that we can speak freely with Him, and He with us. Without this relationship with Him, we will not be able to enter into the eternity that He wants for us.

Matthew 7: 21-23
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

1 Corinthians 13:1-3
If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

If I know about Jesus, but do not know him, I have nothing. Jesus has risen from the dead that we may have a relationship with him, that we might know him. Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship. A relationship that Jesus paid for with his precious blood. A relationship that we do not deserve. Nor a relationship that we can earn by good works, or looks. 

Take some time to honor the man who gave it all for (your name here).


No comments:

Post a Comment